Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Review: Reign Fall

Title: Reign Fall (Demon Princess #3)
Author: Michelle Rowen
Genre: YA, supernatural
Rating: 4.5/5
Cover: 5/10

First of all, I want to thank the lovely Michelle Rowen for sending me the e-ARC of this book.

I will admit - I had to go back and re-read the first two, because it's just been so long, and with so many other books in between, I was a bit confused about Nikki's story, but once I was finished with those two, I remembered just how great this story is.

Reign Fall continues Nikki, the half-demon princess's story. One of the things that's so great about the Demon Princess books is that while the supernatural is (obviously) a huge part of the plot and story, the problems Nikki faces - psychological problems concerning people around her, troubles accepting our bodies' change during adolescent years, conflicts between friends, etc - are all very much real, even if the spark behind those problems are a little less conventional.
The whole side story with Clara was something I had never, not in a thousand years anticipated, and I loved that. It's always great when an author can take a character and totally surprise you with it.
Nikki herself made me laugh. She gets annoyed almost as quickly as I do, and she deals with it in pretty much the same way as me - venting to any and everyone who happens to be around.
Michael... I can't say I've ever been a big fan of his (I have a huge, gaping, obsolutely ridiculously big weak point for feary kings), but in this book, he just plain-out bothered me. Keeping secrets is never a good thing in a relationship, and he could have at least told Nikki why he refused to kiss her. Instead, he gets all angtsy and jealous and throws a fit, then screws up.
Rhys, on the other hand, was amazing (although, as mentioned above, I'm probably a tad biased here lol). I love his sense of humor and his sarcasm. I love that he hides his true, broken and young self behind this tougher-than-thou facade. He's a very complex character, and I was sad there wasn't as much of him in the book as I wanted there to be.
Melinda surprised me. I never expected her to do the things she did, but I was glad she did them (well,except for one thing, but she did redeem herself later on, so no harm done).

On the whole, a great book. An excellent sequel to the first two which I'm sure Nikki fans will love. Can't wait for Reign Storm; that ending was just mean, and the fourth one promises great things to come!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the next one! I sooo hope Nikki ends up with Rhys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, the only reason I'm so into the Demon Princess series is because of Michael; Nikki is just another character to me, lol. I've been supporting Michael ever since the beginning of the series. I love how much he loves and cares for Nikki. I know Rhys is the King of the Fairy Realm, but Michael is also Prince of the Shadows, and now that his parents have died, King of the Shadows.

    I know it's never good to keep secrets in a relationship and I haven't read book 3 yet (ordered but not yet delivered), but I'm sure Michael's just trying to protect her as well as he can. I mean, Michael has always lacked confidence due to his servant status. There are multiple times he gets jealous but refuses to admit his true feelings because he's so into following the 'rules' and not being 'together' with Nikki. His jealousy just shows how much he loves and cares for Nikki. Michael is always very quiet and at times may appear very distant, but everything he does is always for Nikki's sake, to protect her. I kinda just wish Nikki would admit to him that she doesnt just like him, but she 'loves' him, just to boost up his confidence a tad. I mean, Michael is so cute at times; like how surprised and happy he gets when Nikki simply shows a tiny bit of affection for him.

    I just thought I'd show some support for Michael since everyone else here at the moment seems to be Team Rhys. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely understandable, and I guess part of what makes it a love triangle, really ;)
    Even though I root for Rhys, I'm happy to see Michael is also getting some love; the poor guy deserves it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)