Monday, December 22, 2014

The Twelve Books of Christmas: Day 10



Day 10:
Night Shift, Lilith Saintcrow

This is another adult fantasy series. I'd say it's Urban Fantasy, so if your recipient is a fan of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson books, they're likely to enjoy this.

To this day, I can't put my finger on what makes these books so good. But oh my god, they're good. They're like crack, and once I got started, there was no stopping me. I think I read all of the first 5 books in something ridiculous like three days. Then I had to wait a year for the sixth book.

Jill Kismet (affectionately (?) called Kiss by the demon Perry who I absolutely loved to hate) made a deal with the devil. Or, well, with a devil. Perry is a demon, and he (usually) keeps his minions on a leash. The ones that escape from that leash, or the ones that come sniffing around to kill him and take over the city's reign, are the ones that Jill takes care of - in a very bloody, violent way.
And the only reason why she's able to do her job so well?
Her deal with Perry. His bite gives her the extra strength, stamina and speed that she needs to take on the things that go bump in the night. The only problem is, she's not quite sure how many strings her deal came attached with, and Perry is starting to ask for favours left, right and centre.
And Jill doesn't like it one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)